Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Modern Wonders of Medicine

I am feeling grateful today and thought I would share just why I feel so grateful. I have been meaning to write about this but kept putting it off. So today I am going to write about it.  The modern wonders of medicine will never cease to amaze me. About 6 weeks ago I had a nasal procedure done by my doctor who is an ENT/Plastic Surgeon. I had had some moderate nasal issues and was having it corrected.  

Well prior to this I had a little skin tag that was growing under my eye. Over the last few months it seemed as if it was growing and becoming more of a nuisance. I had had them before on my neck and they were easily removed with no issue. So just before I went in for my nasal procedure I asked my doctor since he was also a plastic surgeon if he could shave it off.  He said no problem. When I returned for my follow-up on my sinus procedure he immediately told me I had another problem and that was I had basal cell carcinoma. That little skin tag he took off was skin cancer. My heart sunk and I immediately became worried. I know it is the most treatable cancer but any cancer is too much cancer to me. 

So my next procedure was having this skin cancer removed. I had to wait three weeks. It seemed like an eternity. Because it was so close to my eye I had to have a dermatologist surgeon do the Mohs Procedure and then my plastic surgeon stitch it up. Mohs surgery is the most effective treatment for most types of skin cancer. So on February 7th I had the procedure done in the morning and then went and had it stitched up in the afternoon. Both doctors did an amazing job.  Dr. Linder did the Mohs Procedure and had to do it 3 times. Then when I went to Dr. Hobgood to have it stitched up he put in 22 stitches as tiny of a stitch as possible. It was awesome. I shared some of the gruesome pictures but am so grateful for what it is shaping up to look like.


I am grateful for the wonders of medicine.  That we can take care of something that can have such a terrible ending if not properly treated.  I am grateful that something prompted me that day to ask the doctor to take that little skin tag off.  I will be forever grateful that I listened!


1 comment:

Tami said...

I am grateful too! What would I do without YOU to keep me in line! Glad you're finally healthy and there are no more surgeries on the horizon anytime soon! :)